Knife Tests.com
Knife Tests.com
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

The owner of this forum should login with the superadmin account in order to prevent this forum from being marked as abandoned

All Forums
 General Knife Talk
 General Knife talk
 In Your Opinion!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lockdown200
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  05:35:46  Show Profile Send Lockdown200 a Private Message
In your opinion, what is the best knife so far that you have test? (Overall wise) Ex. sharpness, etc.

Edited by - Lockdown200 on 02/14/2007 05:39:02

hgyu456jucl
Forum Admin

175 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2007 :  07:42:12  Show Profile  Visit hgyu456jucl's Homepage Send hgyu456jucl a Private Message
I would have to give the K-bar Bowie that honor. It performs well
all the way around. It has a great handle. One of the best I have ever used.

The knife is tough it chops well, cuts well. The price is great $50.00
Go to Top of Page

Lockdown200
Starting Member

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2007 :  01:27:16  Show Profile Send Lockdown200 a Private Message
Nice! Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Seabear
Starting Member

Chile
1 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2007 :  13:01:34  Show Profile Send Seabear a Private Message
hand made kukri(gurka) is the best knife ever, strong as an axe sharp as itself , and you can even throw it.

love knifes and martial arts.
Go to Top of Page

knifenut
Starting Member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  12:25:22  Show Profile Send knifenut a Private Message
To: hgyu456jucl

After the experience you have gained in your knife tests, I was wondering what your criteria would be for an ideal survival knife? What would be the optimum blade length, thickness, material, handle material, grind, in your opinion. For a good chopping type knife and skinner. From watching your videos one thing that was quickly apparent is that the way the handle is attached to the blade is an important consideration. That one K-Bar you tested had a poorly designed handle connection. I guess a through tang all the way to the back of the handle gives the best strength.

Also have you made any of your own knives? I am interested in learning how and might look around the area to find someone who is making them to get more information on the subject.

I saw an interesting video on youtube on the forging of Pattern Weld Steel.

Here is the link to that video.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

hgyu456jucl
Forum Admin

175 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  13:20:41  Show Profile  Visit hgyu456jucl's Homepage Send hgyu456jucl a Private Message
knifenut: I think a blade length of about no more then 9" with a flat grind. If a blade is to long it gets to flexible and takes away from its chopping ability unless you keep the blade thickness high such as an Himalayan import. Some of the blades are up to 1/2" thick with 20 inch blades. The flat grind seems to work best all the way around cutting,chopping,splitting. Also a nice thick solid spine with no saws or milled thumb groves they seem to weaken the blade during batoning or hammering. This is where the Strider BT finally broke. There is no such thing as a perfect all around knife. So I think there needs to be a balance of all intended uses. You correct a full width tang is best Such as the RTAK II. It comes down to simple proportions. say 25 % tang 75 % blade. The K-bars are about 10 % tang 90 % blade there isn't much tang at all. So for me, I try and find a more equal division between the Two.

So far the 1095 series steels have shown they are very good for a heavy work survival knife.

The answer to your question. My specs would be
9" blade 1/4" thick blade 1095 high carbon steel.

There are many tough steels that I have not tested yet, so the above
is my opinion based on what I have tested so far. My opinion may change as I test more steels.

I don't make knives and have never tried to make one. There are a lot sites on the internet for custom knives and a lot of good info and knife making supply houses out there. Below is a link of a place that
has been around a long time that may be able to help you.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Great video. I love to see master craftsmen work steel. I love the Conan theme during the forging phase.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

knifenut
Starting Member

Canada
6 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  14:28:35  Show Profile Send knifenut a Private Message
O.K. Lots of good points here. Thanks for the advice.
Go to Top of Page

hgyu456jucl
Forum Admin

175 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2007 :  15:37:08  Show Profile  Visit hgyu456jucl's Homepage Send hgyu456jucl a Private Message
Your welcome.
Go to Top of Page

diceman

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2007 :  22:19:35  Show Profile Send diceman a Private Message
Ranger RD9 sounds like it fits the bill (5160 - which is pretty similar to 1095). Ranger is full height flat grind.

Scrapyard Dogfather is about 9-9.5" cutting edge, and is also just about perfect. DF is NEAR full height flat grind (much thicker at the tip because of this)

These 2 pretty large choppers are on the big side - you may check out the Ranger RD7 or the Scrapyard "Yard Guard" and "Yard Hook" (both recurves - and still up for grabs on the website, better hurry!)

Go to Top of Page

hgyu456jucl
Forum Admin

175 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2007 :  02:57:31  Show Profile  Visit hgyu456jucl's Homepage Send hgyu456jucl a Private Message
This is what I'm talking about. Both should do quite nicely. The dog Father has a thick looking tough tip on it. Good photos. I'll have to get me a Ranger if I can. I love the recurve design this is something you don't see very often
Nice

The first requirement of any large work knife or smaller tactical knife is it must be tough. A broken knife does no one any good.

1095 Steel has been very consistent in my tests. I look forward to testing other steels.
Go to Top of Page

scrateshooter

Brazil
76 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2007 :  03:45:18  Show Profile Send scrateshooter a Private Message
Wasn't the Kabar made from 1095?

every man wants to be a hero because every woman wants to be saved
Go to Top of Page

slipfirep40

220 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  14:54:15  Show Profile Send slipfirep40 a Private Message
It was made from 1085.
Go to Top of Page

hgyu456jucl
Forum Admin

175 Posts

Posted - 05/16/2007 :  15:21:20  Show Profile  Visit hgyu456jucl's Homepage Send hgyu456jucl a Private Message
Yes, The k-bar Heavy Bowie is 1085 steel.
Go to Top of Page

B-LORD

Slovakia
81 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  08:41:59  Show Profile Send B-LORD a Private Message
You mean Ka-Bar Heavy Bowie ? Well i am surprised you give honor to this one. Its definitly a good knife for that price, but for me the destruction test was more disapointed then hit. I expected more from this knife.
I would suggest for a best chopping knife the old latin tramontina machete that costs meaby 5 US dollars, and meaby you are using it in your garden. Its thickness is 2 mm and the shape of the blade is : latin machete. This machete takes so deep bites you would never believe.
If we would make a timed competiton betweeen K-bar bowie or dogfather and this Tramontina , i am sure Tramontina wins.
I would compare it to AK-47 assault rifle. Old, crap, cheap,ugly but performs the best.
But i dont say its a best knife, but my best chopper i ever tested.
I am even surprised that you suggest Kukri design. I had K-Bar kukri and i broken it on trees, so i dont believe you are using it on heavy duty chopping.

Go to Top of Page

Noss

USA
1382 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  09:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Noss's Homepage Send Noss a Private Message
The question was In your opinion, what is the best knife so far that you have tested ? at this time It was the best overall
knife I had tested. I on;y considered the ones on the site. Yes there are better choppers but the question was the best knife so far. It's still one of my favorites.

The only kukri I have is the cold Steel 15 dollar one and yes I use it for heavy chopping. It is my main chopper when I go out camping. I routinely chop 4" plus logs with it.

I'm going to do a chopping shootout with it and you can see first hand what it can do. I should have it online Tuesday morning.

Edited by - Noss on 07/16/2007 09:30:00
Go to Top of Page

Thomas Crago

USA
123 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2007 :  23:33:00  Show Profile Send Thomas Crago a Private Message
I have 4 AK's and they are not "crap"!! I would take an AK over any other rifel out there.

I also have a Ka-Bar kukri and have chopped through a lot of logs that were about 4 to 5 inches thick! With no problems at all, the blade is still in great shape and is still very sharp.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Knife Tests.com © 2000-05 ForumCo.com Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.49 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2